Updated June 30, 2015
Introduction; Consent to Terms
You may copy, download one copy on a single computer, and print a limited amount of content, for your personal, non-commercial use only, provided that (i) you include without modification all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the content, (ii) you do not modify the content, (iii) you do not use the content in a manner that suggests NPR promotes or endorses your, or any third party’s, causes, ideas, products, sites, applications, platforms or services, and (iv) you do not use the content in any way that is unlawful or harmful to any other person or entity. In addition, you may use widgets and tools on the PRSS Services that allow selected User Materials to appear on your personal, noncommercial site, blog, application, platform or service, subject to the conditions in the preceding sentence.
Trademarks and Service Marks
Public Radio Satellite System®, PRSS®, ContentDepot®, National Public Radio®, NPR®, NPR program names and logos, member station names, program names and logos, and Content Provider names, program names and logos, are trademarks or service marks (“marks”) of National Public Radio, Inc., its member stations or the Content Providers. All rights in these marks are reserved by their respective owners. You may not use any NPR-provided marks, or other logos, or graphics, without NPR’s prior written consent.
Users of the PRSS Services may post, upload, transmit and otherwise submit (“Submit”) comments, messages, recommendations, and other content and materials (“User Materials”) on or through the PRSS Services. You acknowledge that User Materials may be routed through our servers, the servers of one or more third parties and the Internet, and may be viewed by NPR staff and on the unrestricted areas of the PRSS Services by the general public.
You retain the copyright and other ownership rights in any User Materials that you Submit on or through the PRSS Services. However, by submitting User Materials on or through the PRSS Services, you grant to NPR, NPR member stations, other Content Providers and their respective licensees a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, transferable license to use, copy, sublicense, modify, transmit, publicly perform, display, create derivative works of, host, index, cache, tag, encode, and/or adapt your User Materials in any and all media formats, channels or platforms, whether now known or hereafter devised, including the PRSS Services, NPR member station sites, applications, platforms and services, third-party licensee sites, applications, platforms and services, over the air (on radio or television), and other applications and services, without payment and without further notice to you or request for consent. You further grant to NPR, NPR member stations, and their licensees the right to contact you in connection with your User Materials and to use your name, city and state and other information that you have provided in connection with the User Materials.
NPR does not allow framing of any of the PRSS Services.
Links to the PRSS Services
As the manager and operator of the PRSS Services, NPR is committed to serving public broadcasting. Furthermore, NPR encourages and permits links to nonrestricted areas of the PRSS Services. You may not, however, link to restricted areas of the PRSS Services (non-public areas accessible only to registered users), and any linking should not suggest that NPR promotes or endorses your, or any third party’s, causes, ideas, sites, products, applications, platforms or services, or use NPR or PRSS content for inappropriate commercial purposes or in any way that is unlawful or harmful to any other person or entity. We reserve the right to withdraw permission for any link.
Links to Third-Party Services
The PRSS Services may contain links to sites, applications, platforms and services maintained by third parties over which NPR has no control. NPR does not endorse the content, products or services of such sites, applications, platforms and services, or any of their operators, and NPR is not responsible or liable for the content, availability, accuracy, quality, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available from such sites, applications, platforms and services. NPR shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, products or services available on or through such sites, applications, platforms and services.
To participate in certain PRSS Services activities, you must register and establish a password. You are solely responsible for all activities that occur using your registration or password. You must maintain the confidentiality of your password, and you agree to immediately notify NPR of any unauthorized use of your account or password.
Rules for Using the Site
By using the PRSS Services, including by registering for the PRSS Services, participating in any messaging system, Submitting User Materials or by using any other features of the PRSS Services, you agree to the following rules:
- You must be at least 18 years of age to Submit any User Materials or personally-identifying information on or through the PRSS Services. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, you may browse the PRSS Services or register for email newsletters or other features of the PRSS Services with the consent of your parent or guardian, so long as you do not submit any User Materials. If you are under 13 years old, please do not send any information about yourself, including your name, address or email address. If we discover that we have collected any personally-identifying information from a child under 13, we will remove that information from our database as soon as possible.
- You may not Submit any User Materials under a false name or a false email address. You may not impersonate another user or provide any false information about yourself.
- You may not Submit any User Materials or links to material that is libelous, false, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, threatening, harassing, discriminatory, in violation of the law, harmful to children, in violation of third-party privacy rights, or that constitutes hate speech or a personal attack.
- The PRSS Services can only be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. You may not Submit any material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising, promotion, solicitation for goods and services or recruiting. You may not use the PRSS Services for political campaigning, recruiting votes or soliciting support for legislative or other initiatives.
- You may not Submit any software or other material which contains any virus, trap door, back door, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful computer code, files, scripts, agents, programs, adware, device or other features that may access, alter, delete, damage or disable any hardware, software, information or other property of NPR, NPR member stations, other Content Providers or users of the PRSS Services. You may not use the PRSS Services to distribute chain letters, mass mailings, “spam” or duplicative or unsolicited messages in violation of applicable laws, or to gather user names or email addresses for the purpose of sending unsolicited email or other communications to other users of the PRSS Services.
- You may not interfere with or disrupt the integrity or performance of the PRSS Services, any portion or contents thereof, or related systems or networks, or use the PRSS Services in any way that degrades their reliability, speed or operation, or their underlying hardware or software. In addition you may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to the PRSS Services or its related systems or networks.
THE PRSS SERVICES AND ANY CONTENT, MATERIALS, USER MATERIALS, FEATURES OR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE OR SOLD ON OR THROUGH THE PRSS SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. NPR DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE PRSS SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. NPR DOES NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTIES AS TO THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE PRSS SERVICES OR ENDORSE, RECOMMEND OR MAKE ANY WARRANTIES AS TO THE CONTENT, INFORMATION, MATERIALS, USER MATERIALS, FEATURES, SERVICES, PRODUCTS, OPINIONS, OR STATEMENTS AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE PRSS SERVICES OR THROUGH LINKS ON THE PRSS SERVICES. USE OF THE PRSS SERVICES IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
IN NO EVENT WILL NPR, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS OR THIRD-PARTY PROGRAM PRODUCERS OR CONTENT PROVIDERS BE LIABLE (I) FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRSS SERVICES, (II) RELATING TO ANY CONTENT ON OR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE OR SOLD ON OR THROUGH THE PRSS SERVICES, OR (III) IN CONNECTION WITH ANY THIRD-PARTY CONTENT OR MATERIALS (INCLUDING USER MATERIALS) OR THE DEFAMATORY, INFRINGING, OFFENSIVE OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY. IN NO EVENT WILL NPR, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS, THIRD-PARTY PROGRAM PRODUCERS OR CONTENT PROVIDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY AMOUNT IN EXCESS OF $100.
Right to Change the PRSS Services
NPR reserves the right to change, terminate or suspend the PRSS Services, any features of the PRSS Services, and any content or materials contained on the PRSS Services, in any way, at any time and for any reason or no reason. NPR also has the right to require you to cease accessing any features, content or materials of the PRSS Services.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Notices; Copyright Agent
NPR respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you repeatedly provide User Materials without securing the necessary rights and authorization to do so you may have your access to the ContentDepot permanently terminated.
If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement by any content or material on the PRSS Services, please provide the following information in writing to NPR’s Copyright Agent (see 17 U.S.C. §512(c)(3) for further detail):
- a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright
- a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed
- a description of the material that you claim to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information sufficient to permit us to locate the material
- information so that we can contact you, such as address, telephone number and email address
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of a copyright that is allegedly infringed
If you believe that any content or materials you posted, uploaded or Submitted to the PRSS Services that were subsequently removed from the PRSS Services, or to which access was disabled, were improperly removed or disabled, please provide the following Counter-Notification to NPR’s Copyright Agent (see 17 U.S.C. §512(g) for further detail):
- your physical or electronic signature
- a description of the materials that have been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled
- a statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled
- your name, address and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement
NPR’s Copyright Agent can be reached as follows:
1111 North Capitol Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002
Only DMCA notices should be sent to the Copyright Agent. For other comments or questions regarding the PRSS Services, please contact NPR through our contact page.
The PRSS Services is controlled and operated within the United States. NPR makes no representation that content, materials or products available on or through the PRSS Services are appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. If you access the PRSS Services from a location outside the United States, you are responsible for compliance with applicable laws, including local laws regarding online conduct and content and U.S. export laws and regulations.